Tuesday, July 26, 2005

You Can Go Home Again

I went to my home in South Dakota this last weekend. I left on Wednesday after work, about 8:30 and made the 422 mile trip in just over six hours, so not too bad, and my car still gets about 28 mpg/hwy so that is nice. Thursday was mainly just cleaning up our polebarn/shed. Friday was beanbags and reunioning with deer swiss steaks for supper. Saturday was super hot--105, in the shade. (David Letterman says, "When it is 120 in the shade, you should stay out of the shade!") Friday night after my sister, Marcy, got off work, we played beanbags til three in the morn. Saturday night Marcy, Nona (her friend), and I went to the drive-in movie theatre and watched The Longest Yard. It was an alright film; funny in parts, some unexpected plot developments, and fun cameos from ESPN personnel. I would give it 2.5 stars out of 5. I liked The Waterboy much better. So Saturday night, after the movie, I played some Phase-10, as much as my opponents would let me considering they would skip me every chance they got. Then Marcy and I played ping-pong til 4 in the morning. Earlier that day was the fish feed. Walleye is so tasty battered and deep fried.
Most of the highlights of the trip for me involved my young nieces, nephew and cousins. Friday night I spent some time just hanging with a bunch of 4 year olds in our camper. I would roast them some marshmallows and ask questions like which fruit they liked, you know important stuff. Then Justin my 7 y/o nephew had a funny moment. He was probably misbehaving in the pool, and his mother, Amy (my step-sister), said "Get out of the pool before I give you a reason to cry." He responded despondently, "I already have a reason." Another nice time was when my niece Taylor, Justin's cousin also 7.5 y/o, and I took turns pushing eachother around in a wheelchair. To Be Continued . . .

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home