Sunday, February 05, 2006

As Per Bryant

This is just to say
I have taken
The flag
That was
Flying

And which
You probably expected
To see
This morning

Forgive me
It was beautiful
So free
And so brave

--William Carlos Williams

Up in the night to piss
Saw the flag
Stripes & stars
Reflected in the stream
& in the morning
Still there

--Gary Snyder

The Banner--that we watched in Air
So Proudly as it Gleamed
Was Proven by the Rocket Glare
Or so to us it Seemed--

And so we waited for the Dawn
To see if it still flew
Or if--in Tatters--it is Gone--
As happened once--with You.

I woke up--at the Matin Bell--
A vast and empty Bed--
The Pillow bore--the slightest smell
Of Oil--from your Head.

A fleeting Phantasy--perhaps--
The Ghost of--Not To Be--
And Postmen--in their Crimson Caps--
Aim their Artillery.

--Emily Dickinson

I'm watching Punch-Drunk Love on TV. This is about the third or fourth time I've seen it, and I really like it. One of the things that first caught me was Shelley Duvall singing "He Needs Me" from the Popeye movie she did as Olive Oyl. Kudos to Paul Thomas Anderson.

Barry Egan Lena Leonard

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 06, 2006 12:22 AM, Blogger bryant said...

Thanks.


I guess you get to shave.

 
At February 06, 2006 11:45 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I've started to shave. First the cheeks, next middle of chin, next bottom of fu manchu, next moustache, finally soul patch.

 
At February 07, 2006 1:56 PM, Blogger Kate Lechler said...

Hey Daniel,
I like the Garrison Keillor poems. They're great. When I read the WCW one, I thought maybe you had written them, but by the time I got to Emily Dickinson, I thought it must have been someone else. Not to insult your poetry-writing skillz.

 
At February 07, 2006 11:00 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

No offence taken. Welcome to my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home