Wednesday, October 05, 2005

It's the Little Things

This evening after work, I got my hair cut by Missy at Hairington's. I've been to her before (she was the first one to cut my hair to remove my "perm"), but all summer, I've been going to Stacey's in the Hay Market. I really like the freedom I have when I talk to Missy. Stacey is nice, and I liked my hair while I went to her, but never right away, she always styled it funny--the eyebrow waxing is a nice touch too. Missy understands my high forehead (cue They Might Be Giants' "We Want A Rock") and the hair style necessities that requires. So that was nice. After that I went to the Racquet Club, then I planned on shopping at Super Saver on 56th, where I normally go, but I took the turn I normally take when leaving the Racquet Club, toward my home. So instead of entering my consuming comfort zone, I had to compromise with (cue scary music) GHETTO RUSS'S. I was wandering up and down the aisles, back and forth--completely disoriented and increasingly frustrated. Discomfited seems to be the right word. I hate any grocery store that is not Edgewood Super Saver.

Movie Review: A History of Violence 4 outta 5 stars
I really liked this movie. Viggo Mortensen does a wonderful job, really all the actors--Maria Bello, Ed Harris, William Hurt, and Ashton Holmes (as the teenaged son)--do a fine job, with William Hurt dazzling during his short time. Apparently the story is taken from a couple of "graphic novels/comic books." It has that feel to it with its very story boarded scenes. It works for me, because each scene brings something valuable to the film for the characters, plot, and the audience emotion. I don't know if it was the audience I was watching it with, or just the film itself, but instead of a dramatic, intense action feeling, it evoked a deep dark comedy, something that could have been as funny as Fargo with the right casting. But don't take my word for it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 9:51 AM, Blogger bryant said...

Super Savor on 48th and O is pretty good. I miss Super Savor. Ghetto Russ's is only for emergencies really. I would definitely go to Open Harvest before Ghetto Russ's.

 
At October 06, 2005 12:42 AM, Blogger bryant said...

Oh, I guess it was "Super Saver".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home