Sunday, December 04, 2005

Seller Dour

Note to self: Don't watch The Aristocrats before going to a community theater play later that evening. It really messes with your expectations.

I'm going to be running the half-marathon with my mother in May. When should I start "training?" I don't want to peak too early. Following the reader participation theme, the aforementioned mother wants music for Christmas. Any suggestions? She enjoyed Sara Groves' Conversations a few years ago. I'm thinking Andrew Peterson, Neil Diamond's Twelve Songs, something like that.

Back to The Aristocrats, I liked the movie. I give it a 3.5 out of 5 because I believe they accomplished what they set out to do. They took a very limited subject and provided a glimpse of an entire industry while entertaining the viewer. It would be nice for other filmmakers replicate the feat with other fields (football perhaps). As other reviewers have noted Bob Saget and Sarah Silverman shine. The mime being another bright spot. Silverman has really risen in the national consciousness with this film and also her new concert film. The article in Rolling Stone, read by my father, boss, and myself (each independently), was wonderful and showed her humour capably.

My mother got into Lincoln about ten to one on Friday night after driving from SD, and we caught up on the horrendous conditions in Eastern SD. In the 15 miles between Rockham and Redfield, there are 28 electric poles knocked on the ground. So power has been out for a week. They are going to grade the snow and ground and just repair the lines on the ground and worry about putting up poles when the spring comes. Menard's in Watertown had the generators already in shopping carts for the customers.

Saturday morning we went to Green Gateau and had a wonderful breakfast. I have always enjoyed their oatmeal and my mother shared in that joy. It was funny to me because my mother talks so easily with most anyone. While we were there, she struck up a conversation with our server. I kept on waiting for her to say something that I thought would have been embarassing, but it never came. And it never does. She's just so cool. I'm very blessed.

Giving Thanks,

The Surveyor of Land

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At December 04, 2005 10:00 PM, Blogger bryant said...

A half marathon is pretty easy compared to a full marathon. If you can run between 3 and 6 miles now I would say a month would be enough time. If you are completely new to running the first week of March should be fine. Getting up to the distance is more important than trying to run fast. You might even consider running 12 miles in training for the official run.

It's never to early to start running. Even if you only run a mile or two a couple times a week. That will make the actual training leading up to the marathon seem pretty easy.

Other advice:
Running with a group is easier than running alone. I think you could run a half with regular tennis shoes but if you are going to make a habit of running (which is a very good idea), or run a full marathon, definately buy some running shoes at Lincoln Running Co. If you buy 6 pairs of shoes your 7th are free. The coach I have been running with buys 5 or 6 pairs at once if he finds a pair he likes. I have heard you can run about 400 miles on one pair but he says he runs 600-800 per pair. I am up to a total of 300 miles altogether, Lincoln Marathon included.

So...there's some advice for you. If you want any more advice ask me, or Ceri or Carissa.

 
At December 05, 2005 9:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky you seeing the Aristocrats. I've successfully downloaded 4 versions in various languages of the aristocats.

Your mom is awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home