Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Caring Hearts and Killing Cars

This past week end, I drove up to SD then hitched a ride to DAA for my sisters graduation. I left at 6:12 am on Friday morning and 424 miles later at 12:07 pm I arrived in Rockham. Yes, I sped. On my way up, I hit a smaller bird. Then going up to DAA, we (my mother, Denny and I) hit a larger bird. The weekend's events went smoothly without any major hitches in the giddy-up. I'll share my notes that I took in the program later.

One fun piece of advice that Charles Reel, Dakota Conference Treasurer, gave in his commencement address: "If you lend someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it."

I stayed, after we packed my sister up on Sunday, to ride back from DAA to Rockham. Yes, we hit another bird. Monday was cleaning out the front porch and playing plenty of bean bags. I headed out for Lincoln later than I wanted, so I sped again. This time though, I was pulled over and given a ticket. Oh well. I felt no remorse or guilt or anger or anything really. It was a consequence of breaking the law like falling off a table is consequence of gravity. Then I stopped at the Wal-Mart to get a pint of ice cream and Arrested Development. Jennapher was the girl that checked me out, literally, not as figuratively. Why would a parent do that to their child? I was fortunate to purchase gasoline for 2.57 in Sioux City. Who knows when gas will be that cheap again. Then an hour later, I hit a deer. Don't worry; I was terribly precise with my hit. The deer only took out my headlight, nothing else.

So if you're keeping score, I had four legs to my journey, and each resulted in a dead animal. Four for Four.

The caring heart of the title is the scholarship my sister won from the NAD.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 25, 2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Angela said...

killing cars...and birds, don't forget the birds.

drives to nd are always a little risky. who knew the plains could be so daring.

i feel so far away from that dakota life. i'm sure your sister is off to do great things with her caring heart award. you must be very proud.

 
At May 25, 2006 11:16 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm very proud of her, I even got a bit choked up when she received it.

 
At May 25, 2006 11:32 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I used to believe that birds wouldn't allow themselves to be hit by automobiles. Until I hit one.

But three in a weekend? Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home