Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Nice Sunday Updated!

Grab the Ritalin 'cuz there's hyper-linking now.

Last Sunday was an excellent example of what can be done if you plan/schedule a little bit.

At 1 pm Marcy and I left for Brownville, NE (right on the border of Nebraska and Missouri, south of Nebraska City and East of Auburn) because a photographer friend of hers was having a gallery showing from 11 to 4. We arrived a bit after 2:30 and spent about an hour looking at Nathan's show and walking the historic main street of Brownville.

We left Brownville around 3:30 and drove the 70 miles north on I-29 to Council Bluffs. The reason I needed to go to Council Bluffs is that only in Iowa and parts of Illinois is Templeton Rye Whiskey available, and only recently was their second batch made available to the Iowa liquor board for distribution. So I made a stop at the Metro Wine and Spirits store for my bottle of "the good stuff."

After driving down Dodge Street to West Roads and Regency Court, we browsed and got some chocolate and coffee at Whole Foods Market. After negotiating the labyrinth of roads, we arrived on time to our reservation at 6pm for PF Chang's.

Three delicious courses (I had Chang's ribs, Chengdu spiced lamb, and banana Spring rolls. Marcy had spring rolls, chow fun chicken, and flourless chocolate dome.) later we were a little over an hour out from the main event at 9, Sondre Lerche's concert. So we stopped at Omaha's Jake's Cigar and Spirits Shop, and I got a pipe and some tobacco to put in it.

Then I had some excellent Trappist beer (Rochefort), and we played three games of pool. At the end of our third game, it was time for the show.

The show was excellent with Dan Wilson and Sondre both delighting myself and the crowd (each of them played Gibson acoustics and then Fender and a gold Gretsch Golden Anniversary respectively). Then at 11:45 we left Benson, and after an uneventful drive home, we arrived 12 hours after we left at 1 AM.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At November 22, 2007 12:20 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Wow, a pipe! I don't think I know anyone who owns a (tobacco) pipe.

 
At November 23, 2007 2:42 AM, Blogger Wishydig said...

Did you go for a flavored blend or a drier English blend?

 
At November 23, 2007 3:02 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

The only two they had available that weren't fruity were a cognac and a bourbon. If I remember correctly, I went with the cognac.

After checking, it is the "Special Cognac."

 
At November 24, 2007 7:53 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Mmmm. I'd love to try the rye. I like small batch bourbon, myself, but I love trying new things.

When I read that part about the pipe, I laughed out loud. Once at a concert in Champaign, I saw two guys in their 20s smoking hobbit pipes. It looked pretty cool, if kind of hippie-ish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home