Friday, June 19, 2009

Hurm.

I've subscribed to the hoekstraisameme.com site so that I won't miss the next clever take on Pete's tweet.

But I have some complaints about many of the submissions. My opinion is that a hoekstra meme should be a comparison of personal minor suffering/inconvenience/discomfort to historic tragic injustice. I think this is a fine example. However, I've seen a lot that are comparing minor personal accomplishments to monumental feats. I feel this positive take on the meme undermines the initial intent to ridicule Hoekstra for not properly recognizing his rung on the ladder of human suffering. The memes I laugh the most at are those that attack the most revered martyrs.

2 Comments:

At June 19, 2009 8:35 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Agreed...in order to be a truly accurate hoekstra meme, it has to follow the pattern. Apples to apples, and all that.

 
At June 22, 2009 4:45 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

"Now I know how Joan of Arc felt..." Now I have a Smiths song in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home