Saturday, May 23, 2009

Une tasse n'est pas une tasse.

So I've had my French press almost 18 months. And I've been fairly ritual in my preparation of coffee, i.e. waiting 10 seconds for the water temp to drop 4 degrees before adding it to the fresh grinds. Friday morning I tweaked the formula. Instead of having a scoop of beans for each 8 ounces of water, a normal cup, I went with a scoop of beans for every six ounces, a cup of coffee. So this means instead of four scoops of beans for four cups of water/32 ounces, I went with 5 scoops for about 30 ounces. The difference one additional scoop of beans made was really great. So much so that I let out a little whoop of glee as I was driving to work drinking my newly improved coffee. And in case you were wondering I was brewing with a washed Ethiopian Sidamo bean. I really like all the Ethiopian coffee I've tried be it Yirgacheffe or Sidamo. Dry-process is a favorite of mine too. And if size matters to you, get a Papua New Guinean bean, they're like twice the size of other beans.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 03, 2009 11:03 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

The coffee you served us at your place the other night was great--a perfect accompaniment to fabulous desserts! And it didn't even keep me up all night. Awesome.

 
At June 03, 2009 11:56 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, any endorsement from a grad student and Northwest native is quite enviable. Thanks, and thanks again for the wonderful evening catching up with friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home