Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Let the Ounces Just Melt Away.

I'm not happy that the last carton of ice cream I got from Haagen-Dazs was 14 ounces instead of the 16 of a pint. This is their explanation. This angers me that I can't eat a pint of their ice cream without getting two of their cartons. They're even reducing their 32 oz. cartons to 28 oz. Their explanation is some mumbo jumbo about increased cost of ingredients and transportation. Then raise your price. A 12.5% increase in price (the percentage they are reducing the pint by) is 43 cents on a $3.50 carton. The whole point of Haagen-Dazs is to indulge and consume conspicuously. This is why I usually eat my pint on the way home from the grocery store (since I'm sans cell phone, this is my poor driving vice.). So what is four bits to continued pint enjoyment. I used to take joy in the fact that ice cream and beer both came in pints. Now I'm frustrated.

BJ Novak previously documented the shrinking of Cadbury Bunny Eggs on Late Night with Conan O'Brien in April of 2007 (the video doesn't seem to be up on youtube or google video anymore). My other experience is with my favorite granola for eating in yogurt, Udi's (if you notice in the picture the bags still have the 16 on them from when they were packaged in pounds, but the description says all bags 13 ounces). Used to be they sold "one pound" of wholesome goodness; now they're all cutesy about their "Baker's Dozen" of 13 ounces. And as I look at their website further, the 13 ounces is only on the Home page, while the Our Products pages still have 16 ounces.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At August 05, 2009 8:14 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Oh, this kind of thing infuriates me. So thanks for helping me start off my day in a fury.

I hadn't thought about the fact that both beer and ice cream come in pints. That's a handy factoid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home