Monday, June 22, 2009

Leap Year

This is my 366th post. One for each day of an olympic/election/leap year.

For no reason, the phrase "rassin' frassin'" got into my head today. Everyone I shared this with was under 25 and had no idea what I was talking about. I initially associated it with Yosemite Sam. A quick Google search, only 1010 results, revealed that it might also come from Snidely Whiplash's dog and the Wacky Racers.

Another thing I learned today, when my Google Reader recommended I subscribe to my own blog, is that I have 9 subscribers. So I thank each of you, and I'm sorta delighted that I could conceivably host a party at my apartment for all of you. I might have to make two pies, but that wouldn't be a problem. (I'm also sorta thinking I should have a Summer membership drive like my local community owned radio station.)

Speaking of pie, Saturday I made my rhubarb custard pie with cardamom instead of nutmeg, and it worked pretty well. Later on Saturday, Marcy, Michael Thurber, and I went to a David Sedaris reading/book signing at the UNL bookstore. I was fortunate to get my book signed before the reading. While he was signing my book with a wonderful drawing of a turtle with a human head that wore a top hat and had an Abraham Lincoln type beard, he asked me questions.

DS: Are you a student?

DM: No.

DS: What do you do?

DM: I working in a shipping department as an order coordinator.

DS: Do you have a home?

DM: Nope, I'm in an apartment.

DS: How much is the rent?

DM: 630 a month.

DS: That's not too bad. Is it clean?

DM: Nope.

DS: You don't clean your apartment?

DM: Well, I clean the kitchen when I bake. I made a pie today.

DS: Really, I wouldn't have guessed that. (Shares with helper woman that I'd baked a pie.) I wouldn't have picked you as the person who made a pie today.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At June 23, 2009 12:46 AM, Blogger Wishydig said...

that's a fine exchange. very fine.

when traveling this past weekend i listened mostly to sedaris reading from when you are engulfed in flames.

i envy your collection of both the signature and the anecdote.

 
At June 23, 2009 2:41 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I love David Sedaris.

 
At June 23, 2009 8:20 AM, Blogger Leah said...

That's awesome. I love that he asked how much your rent is.

And congratulations on #366.

 
At June 23, 2009 9:23 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I love how he hadn't identified you as the pie baker...

 
At June 24, 2009 12:00 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Michael: I'm happy with our exchange. It was easy enough on my part, all I had to do was tell the truth. That is the book that I got signed, and I do prefer his recordings to the printed word.


Ellen: Fortunately, we aren't often called upon to identify pie bakers in public gatherings. Though it might be a fun people watching exercise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home