Monday, November 22, 2010

My Rejects from the BBC List

Any I should take off this list?

2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR TolkienX
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte BronteX
4 Harry Potter series - JK RowlingX (Sorry Ceri)
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper LeeX
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily BronteX
11 Little Women - Louisa M AlcottX
13 Catch 22 - Joseph HellerX
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du MaurierX
19 The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey NiffeneggerX
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret MitchellX
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas AdamsX
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn WaughX
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck partialX
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth GrahameX
31 Anna Karenina - Leo TolstoyX
32 David Copperfield - Charles DickensX
34 Emma -Jane AustenX
35 Persuasion - Jane AustenX
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled HosseiniX
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De BernieresX
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan BrownX
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia MarquezX
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John IrvingX
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM MontgomeryX
50 Atonement - Ian McEwanX
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane AustenX
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia MarquezX
62 Lolita - Vladimir NabokovX
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice SeboldX
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre DumasX
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen FieldingX
71 Oliver Twist - Charles DickensX
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson BurnettX
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace ThackerayX
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles DickensX
83 The Color Purple - Alice WalkerX
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave FlaubertX
87 Charlotte’s Web - E.B. WhiteX
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch AlbomX
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre DumasX
100 Les Miserables - Victor HugoX

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 22, 2010 10:02 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I think I've read more from your rejected list.

Anyway, I don't think you should pass up the Harry Potter books or Anna Karenina (this is one of my favorites). A Prayer for Owen Meaney is good too and Les Miserables enjoyable if you skim through all the French political rants.

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is not to be missed either.

But then again, I don't really like recommended reading lists.

 
At November 22, 2010 12:23 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I counted 22 of these that I'd read or mostly read (Brideshead Revisited is currently in progress), and many of them I thoroughly enjoyed. It's funny that you apologized to me for Harry Potter (no worries!), but there are others that would beat that series in my suggested-reading list, including To Kill a Mockingbird (come on, it's a classic!), Catch-22 (a personal favorite), and Lolita (which I think you'd appreciate for the language). And I concur with Ellen's conclusions, as well, with the exception of Les Miserables, which I still haven't read.

 
At November 22, 2010 7:51 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Very well. My reason for rejecting some of the books is because I feel I already know the story well enough to not invest the time, but you guys make good points that reading is more than consuming the story. It is sitting down with the author and joining in their world (that shared creation).

I don't know if this is a recommended list or just a list of books the BBC thinks are good, though I guess the implication is you should read these good books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home