Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Drinks All Around

Tonight was Iconoclastic Cocktails night at the Bourbon Theatre.

I started with the Violet(te) Fizz, mainly because I wanted to try the creme de violette to see if I want to get a bottle, mainly for Aviations. It was a nice drink but the violet was kinda lost in the gin and lemon juice, and while the egg white added a nice head to my cocktail, it didn't change the mouth feel too much from a Tom Collins.

Next was the Trinidad Swizzle, with an entire ounce of Angostura Bitters (for the uninitiated, this is a lot, since most drinks that include any bitters call for one or two dashes). I really liked this one. It had a wonderful spice to it and the freshly grated nutmeg and mint were nice garnishes.

After that was the Toronto. It had Fernet-Branca, rye, and simple syrup. I'd never had Fernet-Branca before, which is why I wanted to try this one, and I really liked it. Ian, the bartender, said the mint came from the immense amounts of saffron in it. Surprise, surprise.

Last was Butter Beer, from a 16th century recipe. It was fine, if you like hot butter and beer together. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to Tom and Jerry's, though I've yet to have one of those.

It was a wonderful night of drinks, and I look forward to going there again to expand my cocktail palate.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 19, 2010 11:49 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

That sounds so fun! Another reason to miss/visit Lincoln...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home