Friday, October 07, 2005

Halation, Dove, and . . .

RED!

Those are the colors that Portland municipal workers have to choose from when creating "The Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal" a short film by Matt McCormick narrated by Miranda July, writer, director and star of Me and You and Everyone We Know. I really liked her movie; his movies not as much, but Miranda does a fine job narrating and makes it worthwhile.

Mr. McCormick's collection of short films came to me via Netflix. I like Netflix for its expansive dvd database and ease of use, at an affordablity much better than Blockbuster.

Oddly enough, of the 4 or 5 word-a-day emails that I get, two of them had autotomy

Autotomy is nature's gift to some animals to help them escape when under attack or injured. A lizard being chased will drop its tail and slip away. The detached tail continues to wriggle, distracting the predator, while its former owner flees to safety.


One of my wordadays that I really like is from Anu Garg, she is found at wordsmith.org. She always has fun quotes at the end of the email. Here are a couple:
There is no man so good, who, were he to submit all his thoughts and actions to the laws, would not deserve hanging ten times in his life.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)

Vocations which we wanted to pursue, but didn't, bleed, like colors, on the whole of our existence. -Honore de Balzac, novelist (1799-1850)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 10:43 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Ellen told me I need to see "Me, You and Everyone we Know." I somehow don't think it's playing in Bowling Green...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home