Thursday, June 22, 2006

A New Bedtime Story

Michael recommended A. Graham Maxwell to me a while ago. I finally tracked him down, and I really liked what I read, so I got a couple of his books. Until I read those, here is a pdf of an interview that I found refreshing in its perspective on Christ's death. If you don't wanna read the whole thing, which is a shame, it becomes more pertinent around page six and really juicy at page eight.

For me, Maxwell takes a few principles about God and his nature, like freedom and truth and intolerance for sin, and follows them to their conclusions for this question, but also applies them so easily to many others. I love this approach; it is how I play Othello. This is why my wavering on the cross led me to the origin of the necessity for blood sacrifice. I couldn't answer my question until the foundations were understood. That is why even though it doesn't specifically apply to why Jesus had to die. Maxwell's discussion of justice is germane. Amen.

Tonight I saw a Ford Escape. I also noticed it was a Limited edition. I find irony in the existence of a Limited Escape. A bit like the Dodge Ram.

(sidenote: In Arrested Development, George Sr. who has escaped from prison using the stair car is at a car dealership looking at the new models. He is told by the dealer that they don't have the Bronco anymore because they are trying to get way from the fugitive mystique. The dealer then proceeds to show George Sr. the Escape.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 23, 2006 4:29 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

i'm glad to see that you've engaged with some of his ideas. i get little dizzy considering his arguments because of the strange places where he and i agree and disagree.

we end up in about the same place because of some our shared premises about logical/necessary conclusions and rational assumptions - but in the middle there we depart on some views that many would call basic. such things as biblical authority and parable vs history.

what i like best about his approach is that it's not linear and completely dependant on being perfectly balanced on a single stilt. he approaches his arguments from several directions - all of them reasonable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home