Saturday, November 04, 2006

Viva Sardinia!



Of the many sights I saw when I went to Virginia, the Sardinian flag was one of them. It was hanging from the corner of a house in the gated community of Lake Monticello, where my aunt and uncle live. It wasn't until yesterday evening that I found out what it was. According to my aunt, a couple of older women live in the home. From the road it looked like the heads were blindfolded, and it seemed like it could have been a fairly racist standard, but the explanation here places it as either religious or respectful. Corsica also uses the Moor's Head on their flag.

My other joy of the evening was watching Lincoln's No Coast Derby Girls' travelling team, the Mad Maxines, beat the Chi-Town Sirens 145-65. This also means new names from the registery of roller girl names. The Sirens brought Helsa Wayton, Donna D'Apocalypse, Celia Coffin, Psyche O'Sis, Shocka Conduit, and, my favorite, Beth Amphetamine.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 7:59 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hey, You forgot my roller derby girl name — Rainbow Fright! Now if I can just learn to skate . . .

 
At November 07, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I was looking at the Ohio Roller Girls, because they play the Minnesota Roller Girls, and they had a Rainbow Fight. Maybe a bit too close for comfort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home