Friday, July 27, 2007

Simplify.

I think the quote from one of those Transcendentalists is actually "Simplify, simplify, simplify." I've always thought that was hilarious. Brilliant really.

I believe it was on the Fourth of July maybe, I was driving on the Interstate nonetheless, it could have been the weekend before. Anyway, I was listening to a Terri Gross Fresh Air interview replay with Paul Simon. Gross asked him if he and his father, who was also a professional musician, ever argued over control of the radio. Paul answered that that wasn't the case, but his father didn't think much of the music Paul liked (do-wop, early pop rock)--he thought it was too simple. Simon then excused his father for not realizing the talent and difficulty in making something simple good.

I previously shared this anecdote with Michael and Ashley. Ashley and I were talking about her and Ben's wedding and its elegance and simplicity which belied the increased effort and difficulty necessary to achieve it. "You want to do what?" was frequently asked of Ashley by the various caterer types.

I was reminded of this as I read through the blog for Bread & Cup {Simple food and drink.} This is a new restaurant that is opening soon in the Haymarket. If you're looking for some interesting reading, I recommend going through the archives. I started in January of this year, but it looks like I only missed his introductory post.

Here are some posts I liked: The Importance of Growing Roses, The Symbol, Serve food we LOVE to make and eat, How to eat at bread&cup. (I got a bit verklempt when he mentioned the chocolate espresso bread pudding.), Carbs (I like his bit about Moderation and Variety at the end.), Beer. They also have a website here.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2007 10:02 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I heard that interview too, and the part about the difficulty in making something simple good stuck out to me as well. You articulated it better than I would have, though.

I've stopped by the Bread & Cup blog... or so I'd thought. Do they have more than one? It's a lot more interesting than I remembered...

Maybe I'll run into you at farmer's market in the morning... are you still finding rhubarb?

 
At July 27, 2007 11:48 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I love Paul Simon. And Terri Gross. And food. And the Haymarket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home