Monday, March 17, 2008

"All We Knead Is Love"

That is on the shirt of an employee at Great Harvest Bread Co., a bread store that carries Peet's coffee and tea and grinds their own flour each day. The franchise opened in Lincoln about ten days ago. I had a very tasty oat and berry muffin there and a "deici" (just kidding, it was called a large.) cup of coffee with steamed milk.

I suppose Great Harvest is like the Starbucks of bread stores, which could be good, if they provide really good bread. They are located at 48th and Old Cheney, which if you are from Lincoln, you might know that the Grain Bin, one of Lincoln's mom and pop bread shops, is just two blocks north on 48th. I'm curious what effect Great Harvest's close presence will have on GB.

I like St. Patrick's Day. It is one of many American holidays that has found a way to center around eating and drinking. And I'm all for eating and drinking. So I went to Bread and Cup for some very delicious corned beef on rye with a pint of Empyrean's Irish Red Ale. Then Ivanna Cone had a most delicious Bailey's Fudge Cake. The Bailey's ice cream base was Bailier than ever, and the fudge was decadent, and the cake was silky and not crumby like cake in ice cream often is. It was decadent without being rich. So I got a quart of it on my way out.

I was accompanied on my fine evening by Angela and Katie. Thank you ladies for a lovely night on the town.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 18, 2008 10:41 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oh, I love the Grain Bin. I do wonder what the new place will do to it?

And the Bailey's Fudge Cake sounded incredible.

 
At March 19, 2008 11:06 PM, Blogger Angela said...

It really was incredible.

And thank YOU Daniel for the excellent company as well. We think you're fun. (Katie and I, not my multiple personalities and I.)

I hope you've saved some ice cream for Lost!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home