Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mahershalalhashbaz Ali

That isn't his birth name. His birth name is Mahershalalhashbaz Gilmore.

He plays Tizzy Weathers in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. According to the trivia at IMDb, his first name is the longest proper name that appears in the Hebrew Bible (Isaiah 8:3).

But that is getting ahead of myself, and my day.

I made the figgy bread pudding in the morning. I soaked a half cup of chopped and partially seeded figs (I quartered them vertically then cut out the center core of seeds.) in honey and rum with craisins and golden raisins. Also, instead of cinnamon, I freshly ground cardamom. Then I went and picked up my new tv from Scott. Then it was off to the pictures. Doubt was first. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Viola Davis were all really, really great in their respective roles. John Patrick Shanley brought his play to a most excellent life on the screen (writing the screen play and directing). And the more I think about it the more I appreciate the writing. But without the stellar cast to bring it the attention it deserves, I might have missed all the rest. I highly recommend the film.

My schedule was right on, with less than ten minutes between the end of Doubt and the start of Benjamin Button. I liked The CC of BB. I can't say it moved me like I've been moved from other performances by Mr. Pitt and Ms. Blanchett (the last time they were together on screen, Babel, is just one example.)

SPOILER ALERT

Probably not really, but just in case, I always wanted to put one of those in a review. The frame of the movie is like those of other epic romance films English Patient, and apparently The Notebook. There is a character on their death bed who is read the memoir of someone, which breaks up the movie by periodically returning to the narrative set. The only exceptional thing about the film is the reverse aging thing. I don't know what I was expecting from the film, but it was more than what I got. If you go to see it, you'll enjoy it, as I did, just open your schedule (168 minutes) and heart.

SPOILER OVER

And I suppose this post is over now too.

PS "Post" is really ancient terminology, almost as much as webmaster and domain.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home