Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Old Kentucky Home

So last night I compared my three bourbons side by side by side. I started with just the Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace, but then added Evan Williams to see how it stacked up.

The Knob Creek had a rounded fruit/vanilla taste with stronger alcohol notes than the Buffalo Trace which had a touch of the smoke you get from scotch, earthier you might say. Evan Williams, with its charcoal filtering, was the easiest of the three to drink (though that isn't necessarily a good thing), and its ease allowed me to think I picked up the sweetness of corn. I'm glad I've been using it in my eggnog, because it wouldn't really hold up to a sustained solo performance as an aperitif or digestif.

So I had grand designs to bake/make something different each of the twelve days leading up to christmas, but so far I've only made three, with 7 days to go. I made a virgin and sullied batch of eggnog on Friday, some peanut butter fudge on Sunday, and chocolate chip cookies on Tuesday. I hope to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies tonight, and in the coming days, normal fudge, bread pudding with figs, pumpkin mousse, cheese buttons, cinnamon rolls, no knead bread, raised doughnuts, pizza, and a mincemeat pie.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At December 18, 2008 2:28 PM, Blogger Leah said...

That's a very ambitious plan for baking, though it sounds fantastic.

I've noticed the same qualities in the Evan Williams and the Knob Creek, but I'm not sure if I've had Buffalo Trace. I agree that Evan Williams is perfect for your mixed drink needs. And Knob Creek is pretty strong, alcohol-wise.

 
At December 19, 2008 12:57 AM, Blogger Karen said...

That's a great song, and I still have your key. Are you in the Dakotas for XMAS? I can keep it and check on Merle for you if you need me to.

 
At December 19, 2008 2:26 AM, Blogger Randomness said...

bring me some figgy pudding.....

 
At December 19, 2008 4:30 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Karen, I'm in Lincoln for the holidays, but you can still bring over the key sometime, and if I'm around there might be some fudge or cookies just laying around :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home