Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band kicked ass.

I knew I was in for a treat when their opening lineup was drums, washboard, and National guitar. He switched between a couple different nationals and a flat top he bought from off the wall of a restaurant. I thought his is vocal style was reminiscent of a possessed livestock auctioneer.

Check out their videos from the website. The video they filmed for their song Mama's Fried Potatoes was picked up by MTV Latin America, so they're gonna be really big in Argentina. Beings that they're from Southern Indiana, I was also thrilled that they have a Persimmon Song. And while the Peyton family hasn't won the persimmon pudding eating contest at the Persimmon Festival in Lawrence County, IN, their recipe for persimmon pudding did get a first prize blue ribbon, and you can get it in the liner notes for their most recent album, of which the Persimmon Song is the last song.

I first learned of American Persimmons when I learned of cherimoya, after reading a book by Raymond Sokolov called Why We Eat What We Eat: or How Columbus Changed the Way the World Eats.

UPDATE: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Amalgamators' set was the best I've seen from them.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 17, 2009 8:17 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Wow...national steel, washboard, and drums?? I want to eat up anything that uses national steel guitars. I'm going to go watch their videos now.

 
At March 18, 2009 12:31 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

The persimmon tree has blocky bark with an orangeish background. You don't need to learn the stems or buds to outdoor I.D. this one.


phoser--kind of like a hoosier, but not.

 
At March 18, 2009 12:36 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

That tree sounds pretty. Is it a fake hoosier?

ablui--Latin for sneeze

 

Post a Comment

<< Home