Monday, March 23, 2009

Orson

So I got my new computer last Thursday.

I didn't open it and start it up til Friday night because my sister had her computer here and my folks were staying the night Thursday on their way back up from TX so it wasn't a good time to add distractions.

Friday in the first 15 minutes of "operation" I had 7 blue screens that restarted the computer. This frustrated me. What frustrated me even more was when the operator from Dell noted that I only had a one year warranty, implying that I should get a longer warranty. I curtly replied that apparently a one week warranty would be long enough, because I've already had problems with my computer, and that now was not the time to up sell me. He subsequently transferred me . . . to a busy signal. I didn't bother again until Sunday, when Muhammad was able to talk me through testing each of my 2GB RAM slots. That fixed things when we found on to be iffy. So they're sending me a replacement and I'm working with "only" 2 GB of RAM.

I'm not very excited about Vista. Right now, until one of my student workers contacts his uncle, I get this lame ass error message about not having permission and them having missing pathways, even when I open Internet Explorer, same thing when I click links that would open a new window/tab. This apparently will be fixed by adjusting the administrator, so says student worker Shann. There are also occasions of nonresponse, curiously enough when I'm trying to download Firefox.

I am happy with my backlit keyboard (an inexplicable contrived necessity I latched on to when configuring my laptop). And I'm renting a bluray disc from Netflix, so I can test my bluray player.

Oh, this post is titled Orson because that is the name I chose for my computer. Orson comes from the Latin for bear.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2009 12:26 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your lappy. I hope it gets better.

 
At March 24, 2009 8:38 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Good for you, downloading Firefox. Stay away from scary IE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home