Wednesday, August 12, 2009

You Say Aubergine . . .

and I say eggplant. Of course everyone knows these are interchangeable terms for that nutritionally vapid purple racial epithet of the nightshade family.

But did you know what courgette refers to? I've been reading a lot of British food blogs and it is mentioned quite frequently. I had a hunch after the first recipe or two, and then I confirmed my suspicions with my resident food scientist at work. I'll put the answer in the comments.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 12, 2009 12:49 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

zucchini

 
At August 12, 2009 8:44 AM, Blogger Leah said...

My second semester French class taught me "courgette." I'll tell you, though. "Cornichons" were a total killer...we couldn't figure it out.

We made some great sandwiches out of roasted eggplant, red bell peppers, and onions on baguettes recently. Roasted veggies in a red wine vinaigrette with salad mix and feta cheese. Oh, and garlic.

Yum!

 
At August 12, 2009 9:33 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

My guess was Corgi pie, using only the freshest corgis around.


meringi

 
At August 12, 2009 4:48 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I remember seeing "courgettes" on (English) menus all across Europe. Mmmmm, zucchini... mmmmm, Corgis...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home