Monday, November 02, 2009

Namploblomoschlomo

Sorry I've left my faithful readers hanging on that Part II of my Vegas trip. Work has been busy, though that hasn't cut into my routine of coming home, eating ice cream, reading through my 113 blog subscriptions, and catching up on my DVRed programming, with bedtime usually coming around or after midnight. So really I've had plenty of time to blog, but I haven't because I procrastinate on things that mean more to me. Case in point, I got some apples at the last farmer's market October 15 and have yet to make an apple pie with them and the grains of paradise that I got online. Don't worry though, the apples are still keeping nicely in my potato cellar of a dining room.

One of the newer blogs I've added is A Beer a Day which is from a British author, Jeff Evans. He talks about a historical event from the day, a beer that matches that event, and closes with notable births, deaths and events. Today was the finale of the TV show Black Adder. Births were Daniel Boone 1734, Marie Antoinette 1755, and KD Lang 1961. Deaths were George Bernard Shaw 1950, Hal Roach (film producer and director) 1992, and I was sad to find out about this one: Eva Cassidy (singer) 1996.

I first discovered her looking for covers of songs when I was in my mp3 downloading phase. I might have checked out a cd or two of hers from the library after that, but she is a wonderful interpreter of popular music. I especially like her version of Woodstock, written by Joni Mitchell recorded by Crosby, Stills and Nash. But her Somewhere Over the Rainbow is just as moving. So if you haven't heard her and you like the Judy Collins, Ann Murray types, you might check her out under positive recommendation from me.

Now to make those cookies I promised for the student workers.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At November 03, 2009 8:18 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I read about Eva Cassidy a few months ago...I like her version of Fields of Gold much more than Sting's. With her it doesn't sound as cheesy or sappy.

Pandora played her for me on my Feist station.

 
At November 03, 2009 8:44 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Your honesty about time and procrastinating is refreshing...

 
At November 03, 2009 9:07 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Grains of paradise?

 
At November 04, 2009 12:48 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

While I haven't heard a lot of her, I agree about how she can strip silliness from songs with her pacing and I don't know, integrity?

Thanks Ellen, I was going to say something modest here, but I'm sure it is more of a self-deprecating defense mechanism.

Yes, Ceri, once as common and valued as pepper in the Middle Ages, grains of paradise or melegueta have a combination of pepper, cardamom, and ginger flavors. Though I've only cracked a grain in my mouth and not actually baked/cooked with them yet. I guess they are also part of a common Moroccan spice blend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home