Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Notebook and Knowing

Once before I've mentioned my little notebook that I write thoughts and shopping lists and words I want to know more about. Well its 50 pages are almost filled front and back, and I've been looking for another. Of course, the canteen at the state developmental center where my mother got the original for less than 50 cents no longer carries it.

At first I scoffed at the gift from my mother, but now as I try to replace it, I realize how very great it is. First is the size, it's 2.5" by 4.25" which fits perfectly in my pocket. Second, it's spiral bound [initially, a white or pink spiral (i forget.) replaced by a black one from work], which is really handy because it stays open and makes it easy to write on each side of the page. Antepenultimately, it started with a pink elastic band that could hold it closed, but that wore out. Fourth, it has a plastic cover which resists wear and tear, though the back cover is regular notebook cardboard and is holding up fine. Finally and most important, it is not ruled. I've found other notebooks that are small, but not others that are small and unlined. The closest replacement I've found is the Moleskine Volant X-Small (any suggestions on which color to get are welcome), but I'm holding out ordering it until I check at my local novelty store, The Bad Robot.

I love that I have strong opinions on what I'm looking for. There is a joy that comes from the confidence of knowing.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 16, 2009 8:13 AM, Blogger Leah said...

The Moleskein is great. I wish I had one...

 
At September 16, 2009 9:55 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Moleskines are great; I go with the basic black or brown and the ones with the paper covers. The others just get too fussy for me.

But you should get blue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home