Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Vegas Part Two

Just a skeleton to get my blog in today.

Marcy and I went with Bryant to Red Rock Canyon after breakfast at Roberto's, a Mexican fast food chain in town.

Red Rock Canyon was a cool place and it helped to have Bryant, who works with the USGS on that area and others similar to it.

After Red Rock we went to Torino's, the local Husker Bar for the second half of the football game. It was fun to see 400 people gathered in a bar a long way from Lincoln still feverish about the Huskers.

Then we had tacos at Tacos Mexico. These were very tasty. One of my tacos had buche (pork maws) and another might have been cabesa, which I was surprised in this case was beef cheek instead of brain, oh well.

This is where we made a sorta regrettable decision, instead of going home to take a nap, we "had" to go through some more of the Strip, checking out Paris quickly before picking up our "O" tickets for the 10:30 show that night.

Before the show, we ate at Merkata, an Ethiopian restaurant. My first time at such a place and very delicious and filling. Gotta love that ingera (spongy, sour dough type bread).

So because we didn't take naps, recommended if you are going to a show that starts 12:30 AM in the time zone you've traveled from, I dozed a bit during some of the slower parts of the Cirque du Soleil show. In spite of that I did really enjoy it. While the acrobatics and showmanship were very impressive, I was equally, if not more, impressed with the logistics of raising and lowering the stage with dozens of performers diving into and out of the water without any collisions underwater, or even slips on what I'm guessing was a pretty wet surface.

Brunch the next morning was at one of many Original Pancake Houses. I had a baby German pancake (our family calls them egg pancakes with the basic recipe being four eggs, a cup of flour and a cup of milk baked about twenty minutes in a cast iron skillet at 425 degrees Fahrenheit) and bacon pancakes. Our server April? made some cute comment about how "somebody's hungry" after my order and then another when I had eaten what I ordered about how I "actually was hungry," but obviously, five weeks later, I'm over it. The orange juice was very good here.

I might flesh this out later, but probably only if I can't think of other stuff to blog about.

And if you can't tell by my glowing comments about every experience, I really liked this trip and often (in still silent moments at work) I dream wistfully about going back soon (hopefully this winter after the new City Center is opened).

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 04, 2009 8:59 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I've always liked the snippets I've seen of Cirque de Soleil. Everyone seems to glow with health. And maybe glitter.

 
At November 04, 2009 11:45 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

If you go back on the first weekend in December, we can hang out! I'm not at all fond of the city (though I do dig its weather), but my sister persuaded me to do that run there, and I'm actually pretty excited about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home