Wednesday, December 09, 2009

And Crack We'll Take the Lead!

I think I've used this space before to wonder what a bobtail nag "two forty for her speed" means. Regardless, I really like the Jingle Bells song. My three favorite renditions of the song are from Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters (they have a wonderful breakdown near the end [1:39] with Bing singing over the Sisters with some "Ohwe'llhavealottafun." Plus, that part is followed up with that beautifully warm clarinet.), Sammy Davis Jr. (my favorite part [1:24] is when he's going all out with some "JING-JING-JINGLE IN THE MORNIN'"), and Frank Sinatra with some men's choir that starts the song with "I love those J-I-N-G-L-E Bells (yeah). Those holiday J-I-N-G-L-E bells (yeah). Those J-I-N-G-L-E B-E-Double L-S."

Other Christmas songs I can't bear the season without are Elvis' Blue Christmas (Porky Pig has a version I haven't heard forever), Elvis' Here Comes Santa Claus, and not necessary but kitschy fun is this one.

I'll leave you with the naughtiest Christmas song lyric from Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller sung by Elvis in the song Santa Claus Is Back in Town:

"Hang up your pretty stockings
And turn off the light,
Santa Claus is comin'
Down your chimney tonight."

Labels:

3 Comments:

At December 10, 2009 7:33 AM, Blogger Fawn said...

Good song choices! I'm also fond of the J-I-N-G-L-E bells version...

 
At December 10, 2009 7:34 AM, Blogger Fawn said...

Oh, and I also love I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas... Classic.

 
At December 10, 2009 7:54 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I seem to remember having several blogosphere discussions of Christmas songs in the past few years (have we really been doing this for years now?).

I've still got The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York" in my top five, but "Blue Christmas" by Elvis is right there too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home