Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Perfect Burger Condiment and a Tablespoon of Paradise

Tonight on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, he had a NY chef who won a burger cookoff. The chef felt that his key ingredient was a caramelized onion and bacon jam. Then, not twenty minutes of television later, on Last Call with Carson Daly, Carson was at a Culver City bar called Father's Office, with 72 taps and what is considered one of the best burgers in LA. The burger is a special blend of meat with Maytag blue cheese, Gruyere, arugula, and a caramelized onion and applewood bacon compôte. So from NY to LA the way to a great burger is a bacon and caramelized onion jam/compôte. All that is left is for me to find out how to make it.

In more important food news, my grains of paradise apple pie is less than ten minutes from coming out of the oven. If the aroma of the sugar, cornstarch, spice mixture is an indicator, I'm pretty optimistic that it will taste good. Verdict to come.

I have an opportunity for my readers. I make pies quite a bit which requires that put slits in the top of the pie to let steam escape. Because I do this a lot, I thought it would be nice to have a signature pattern. I understand it might be hard to explain, but I would appreciate any suggestions to get me in the right direction.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 17, 2009 9:49 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I don't make pies, so I don't know how difficult this is, but I always thought leaf cut-outs were really pretty. But I think it would be cool looking if you did a bunch of polka dots in different sizes.

bilsinsi

 
At November 18, 2009 12:16 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I agree leaves are a nice touch, and I actually use them on pumpkin pies quite a bit after seeing Eric do it. My mom was even planning on using some leaves for a pie competition she's entering. I think my Thanksgiving pictures from a while back might include an example (November 2007).

I really like the idea of polka dots, I think that could look very cool, maybe a grid of dots with alternating dots as different sizes.

However, the signature slit pattern I was referring to is for double crust pies with crust on the top that needs steam vents.

 
At November 18, 2009 4:48 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I guess I was picturing the dots as perforations; would they be too big to work as steam vents?

 
At November 19, 2009 12:08 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

OH, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I think "one" could effectively do the dots small enough to not compromise the double-crustedness, but I don't know if I'm skilled enough to pull that off, or if I want that to be my signature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home