Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Pie

The grains of paradise work. There's this kinda pepper tang at the back of the mouth that lets the apple do its thing on the rest of the tongue. I used a tablespoon of the spice, which might be too much, especially when I looked up Alton Brown's recipe again (on my saved dvr list) and he only used a quarter teaspoon with a combo of salt and maybe one other spice. Another suggestion he had on that show was to use caraway, which according to him is the common spice pairing for apples in Scandinavia.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 18, 2009 8:43 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Wow. That sounds awesome. I've had a cabbage/apple/caraway kind of mish-mash thing and it was fantastic. I totally agree that caraway goes with apples.

 
At November 19, 2009 7:44 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

That sounds interesting, tell me more about this mish-mash thing, and was the caraway ground or do you just use the seeds?

agairoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home