Thursday, May 06, 2010

Dark and Maine Root Ginger Brew



It begins! Initially (pre-stir) this had a lot of the bite of a ginger beer, that peppery, sorta harsh ginger with an inkling of fermented power. This was subdued with a stir but is still present with a scratchy ginger at the top of the throat. Definitely not the same drink as a Ginger Gale. With the Ginger Gale you don't have the taste of the ginger ale or the black rum, they blend to form a new happy libation. With this drink you have that punch of the ginger brew and a sweet shadow of the rum.

My method is six ice cubes of boiled Brita water (boiling and cooling before freezing makes for a clearer ice cube), two ounces of Gosling's Black Seal Rum, then filling the 12 ounce glass to the top with ginger beer (there were four ounces remaining in the bottle).

Labels:

3 Comments:

At May 07, 2010 8:04 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I've never had ginger beer, but it sounds interesting. And I never knew that making ice was such a science these days. That sounds like a good trick to have up my sleeve.

 
At May 07, 2010 9:27 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Both drinks sound wonderful and I'll be having them this weekend.

Note: we do not have a soda pop and candy store around here. Boo.


seuiter

 
At May 07, 2010 9:44 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'd only had ginger beer previously trying a friend's Moscow Mule (vodka and ginger beer in a copper mug).

I learned about boiling water before making ice cubes from the Food Science show, hosted by Ted Allen, on Food Network. Though that is my only take away from that show.

Trying to find a website for Rocket Fizz, I saw there are a bunch around the country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home