Monday, November 22, 2010

BBC Book List

I'm going to delete those I don't want to read (if you're curious what they are I'll post them next). I'll share those I've read and those I wannaO and ditch the others. Apparently BBC says the average number on the list that have been read is 6; I'm at 18 with six partials. Though one of my good friends had a cursory total of over 40.


1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
6 The Bible
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman?
10 Great Expectations - Charles DickensO
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas HardyO
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare partial, might not read any I haven't already
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk?
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
20 Middlemarch - George EliotO
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott FitzgeraldO
23 Bleak House - Charles DickensO
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy undecided on this one
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor DostoyevskyO
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
33 Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
36 The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur GoldenO
40 Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne partialO
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins?
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas HardyO
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret AtwoodO
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank HerbertO
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons?
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram SethO
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon?
57 A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
61 Of Mice and Men - John SteinbeckO
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt?
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas HardyO
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie?
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
72 Dracula - Bram StokerO
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill BrysonO
75 Ulysses - James JoyceO
76 The Inferno - DanteO
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome?
78 Germinal - Emile Zola?
80 Possession - AS Byatt?
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell?
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry?
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan DoyleO
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton?
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-ExuperyO
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks?
94 Watership Down - Richard AdamsO
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy TooleO
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute?
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald DahlO

So I count 41 I don't want to read, 25 I do, and 16 I don't know enough about to decide on.

The consumer (in the purest sense of the word) in me likes these kind of lists, but there are many other parts of me that don't allow me to make progress on such things. A whole lotta biting of(I typed it this way and I'm leaving it because it kinda makes more sense) more than I can digest, much less chew. Though I'm changing the hours of my day, as you can see by the time stamp on this post.

Oh, if you have any info/recommendations on this list, do let me know. I'm sure I can try harder on some with a personal recommendation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home