Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Prestige

I saw this film Thursday afternoon after a seminar I attended for work. I think the reviews I read about it were accurate. The main characters are flat emotionally, but I don't think that is a bad thing, and actually fulfills the requirement of the role. One thing I liked even more as I was walking home was the layering of the story. This I attribute, not to Christopher Nolan and his brother, but to Christopher Priest who wrote the novel of the same name. I just want to say here that I think Scarlett Johansson is overrated. This is the sixth movie with her I've seen, and I haven't noticed improvement or versatility, only increased publicity.

One woman I have taken a liking to is the woman in the red striped shirt in the new Intel commercials. She's cute, and she can dance, and she can wink, something I've never been able to do. I probably have an official crush on her.

In other film watching news, I saw Layer Cake last night. This is one of Daniel Craig's many auditions to become the newest James Bond. He was also in a Tomb Raider and played a secret agent in Munich. In Layer Cake, he is the reluctant thug, having to do one last deal before getting out of the business. His role as jealous son of Paul Newman in Road to Perdition probably wasn't included when considering him for Bond. TTFN

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At November 12, 2006 3:02 AM, Blogger Wishydig said...

Did you see Black Dahlia? I did not but Buffy saw it for a class and she reports that it was her worst acting yet.

"Her voice sounds like she just ate a bunch of frosting" says Buffy.

I first saw her in The Man Who Wasn't There with Billy Joe Wilder...I mean Billy Thornton Wilder...I mean...

She played a cold fish very well for a young teenager. But I agree with you. She hasn't played anything else since then.

(Am I "agreeing" if I merely say that my experience has been the same? It's not like saying "I agree. Pistachio ice-cream is the best." It's like saying "I agree. I've never tasted rum raisin either.")

 
At November 12, 2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

No, I haven't seen Black Dahlia or Scoop, a role that seems like she might have to add some warmth to that fish.

Her low voice has probably hurt my perception of her performance too, that and her unbalanced bosom.

I first saw her in Ghost World with Thora Birch, who I've only seen in a couple films but liked, and Steve Buscemi, always great.

Would "concur" be more accurate for what you are doing with me?

 
At November 12, 2006 8:45 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

Concur works very well. It indicates a similarity of experience as well as allowing for the agreement that results. It's a nice word for the phrase "I'm with ya."

 
At December 19, 2006 11:21 AM, Blogger Kate Lechler said...

Her unbalanced bosom!? Oh man. I really like Scarlett Johanssen. Perhaps I'm predisposed to like everything she does now, because I really liked the first two films I saw her in--Lost in Translation, and Girl with the Pearl Earring. I also thought she was cute in The Island, and really enjoyed A Love Song for Bobby Long. So . . . I guess I don't concur. Or agree. But I haven't tasted rum raisin, either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home