Sunday, January 07, 2007

Mail Call

I didn't check today's (Saturday's) mail til yesterday (Saturday, since it is now 12:40 ante meridian). But today's mail held a letter from my father and a missing Christmas gift and note/letter from my mother. Each was post marked January 3rd, but I'm betting each was taken to the post office on Tuesday the 2nd, which because of Gerald R! Ford's death was a government vacation. This purturbed me a bit, first because they used his death to extend an observed holiday, when they could have used the 26th through the 29th just as easily. The second reason is not mine (at bottom of page) but is a reason nonetheless: it was a national day of mourning. Why are we mourning the death of a good 93 year old man? Christians who believe in immediate afterlife would have us believe that he is already in Heaven. Why should we be sad about that fact?

But this is not a time for grumbling but rejoicing. How great in this era of e-connection that I receive two letters of integrity. I think there are some great things about written correspondence. The permanence of pen on paper. The buying of the stamp. The licking of the envelope. Salutatory and valedictory deliberations (post scriptory deliberations?).

So if you would like one of these from me, send me your address. I'll do my best in the coming days and weeks to seek out the addresses I already have and act on them, but if you want a guarantee, give it to me.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

PS I feel bad for Tony Romo.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 08, 2007 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I fail to see how the cheerleaders lack of attire helps the team. Feminism aside, the players should perhaps be focused on football. There is plenty of time for nudity after the game.

See, I read your links. Even parts you don't post about. It is because I care.

 
At January 08, 2007 7:34 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm glad that you care. It isn't that scant attire for cheerleaders helps the team; it is merely symptomatic of the level of professionalism and dedication to their task that presumably the entire organization has. And hopefully that professionalism means the team will perform well too. Players probably don't even see or watch the cheerleaders, but the fans do, and happy fans means loud fans and loud fans mean homefield advantage.

 
At January 12, 2007 9:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've charged the batteries in my camera. If you wish, you may take pics of a broken ebay purchase tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home