Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Lion is Winter

I really liked The Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins (first film), and Timothy Dalton. It is said that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. Well, the lion roared.

I went to bed last night with nothing on the ground and woke up with at least 5 inches of sodden snow. Naturally the schools all closed down, including Union. More intriguing was the state of the various shipping organizations. Our UPS driver, Al, called Hans, my boss, who is in Texas for an NAD prayer conference, to let him know that UPS would be picking up early. That early was 2:00 instead of the normal 5:30. They also didn't have their normal air pickup at 6. FedEx, however didn't even bother delivering or picking anything up. And the tried and true, wind, rain, sleet, snow, hail, USPS was all systems go.

What this all meant for me was that I got off work an hour earlier than normal. In my hour of found time, I essentially spent it shoveling. The weather giveth and the weather taketh away. It also released the pressure of getting orders processed, since they weren't going to go anywhere.

Tomorrow I finish this hectic week with a trip to Missouri. Wish me well.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 03, 2007 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five inches? A measly five inches of snow and Union closes down?

What happened to that hardy Nebraskan spirit?

 
At March 06, 2007 10:13 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Those were my sentiments EXACTLY! The U closed at 2:30 last Thursday (I'm told it's the first time in at least 10 years it has cancelled classes for snow), in the midst of receiving our second 12" dump in a week. Then we had classes Friday.

 
At March 06, 2007 10:30 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I provided a conservative estimate. I asked others and reports range from 6-8 inches. Is that more impressive? Part of the consideration should be that the city of Lincoln doesn't really bother clearing side roads in residential areas, so if none of the teachers can make it to class, no class. And I didn't suffer one bit, I'm still hearty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home