Saturday, July 28, 2007

Enjoy.

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. Mark Twain (probably)

Tonight Dr. John Walker performed at Jones Coffee, my local coffee shop. He is still really great and will have another cd out around September. Another Lincoln music demagogue Terri Jo Dotson did a few numbers with him, and before the night ended Chris Sayre was in attendance too. Anyway I took note of a couple lines. He sings a line in St. James Infirmary about how tough the neighbor hood is: So tough they'll cut off your head and throw it in your face. The other line that struck me was in his Child of God song. "If they ask me who I am, who I am, who I am, I'm a child of God . . ." The line that got me was "If they ask where love is, where love is, where love is, it's in the darkest hour."

This speaks a bit to the interchange Buffy and I had on our MySpace comment boards (you're welcome to spy on us to see the details, my comments are on the second page of her boards). She shared a quote with me about a wisdom not born of sorrow, just joy and questioned the ability of joy to not come from sorrow. I took the stand that joy can exist without sorrow, and that the angels had joy though they had no sorrow. She rebutted that it was a different species of joy. I'm not saying it is the same joy, but joy nonetheless. So that brings us to where love resides. It resides in the darkest hour. I really think this is a very good place for love to reside, because it does the most good here. This isn't to say that love isn't welcome on a sunny day, but it is more than welcome (When I asked Katie what is more than welcome, she wisely answered: wanted.) in the darkest hour.

In lighter matters, Dr. Walker's lab pup is named Muddy Waters. Other dog names I've gathered since last sharing some names are an Australian Shepherd Dog named Keidis (the owner was glad I made the connection with the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) and a new chocolate lab pup that when I first met her was named Lily (probably with two 'l's they just got her and hadn't written her name yet) but was later changed to Alexis when the patriarch of the family had his say. So who knows what her name is now. I also previously met a brindle grey hound mix named Aries.

For food tonight I had some gouda cheese on a pie crust that I left in the oven a bit too long (too long to use for an actual pie). I was very pleased with myself.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 30, 2007 12:59 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Four stars for John Walker's performance. I'd give him five, but that would be silly.

 
At July 30, 2007 6:24 PM, Blogger Kate Lechler said...

I met a dog today, a chocolate lab puppy, named Penny Lane. And yesterday I met a white boxer named Rosco. Oh . . . I more than welcome a puppy.

 
At August 01, 2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Buffy Turner said...

Way to bring love into the mix.

And I think that concerning all these virtues--love, joy, wisdom--we get closer to their quintessences by experiencing and understanding the counterparts and counterfeits that challenge and threaten and even resemble the strength and loveliness of those virtues.

So it seems we agree, but I'm more interested in the hewed and honed and wayworn constitution of these virtues, I suppose, which, as you mentioned in referencing that hymn, the angels can only know in part.

 
At August 02, 2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I really like that you brought counterfeits into the discussion. I agree that there is a lot to learn about the original by examining attempts to replace it.

The more I think about it the more the angels hymn quote relates more specifically to their unique theological situation, and not so much the light/dark dichotomy. They can't know the joy of salvation because they didn't need saving, and that is that.

 
At August 03, 2007 12:24 AM, Blogger Buffy Turner said...

Nicely said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home