Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dial M for Pizza

I saw Dial M for Murder on Wednesday night. I really liked it, probably more than the other Hitchcock and Grace Kelly film that came out later that year, Rear Window, and definitely more than their third collaboration: To Catch a Thief with Cary Grant.

Saturday night after I got back from watching Dr. John Walker at Jones Coffee, I found a styrofoam take-out container in my fridge with two pieces of pizza. I assumed that Wendy had dropped it off in my absence, so I thanked her in a comment on MySpace. She replied that, though she missed me; she didn't miss me enough to give me pizza. This might be a good point to mention that the pizza was really, really good. The crust was great. I believe there was eggplant and Greek olives and maybe roasted red pepper. Very tasty. So when Wendy told me that it wasn't her, I became frustrated because not only did I want to know who was in my apartment, but I wanted to get some of this really good pizza for myself. The only other person I could think of was maybe Scott, so I commented him and asked if he was downtown on Saturday night. I didn't get a response, so I just figured I had a fun little mystery that I might never solve.

Then Wednesday night, Wendy called me and we talked more about this mystery. She said she was going to Scott's that night, so I had her ask him in person. Mystery solved, almost. Wendy was able to gather that Scott had left it there, but couldn't remember where he got it from, "Auggie's or something, and they got the crust from some special place. He'll tell you tomorrow night when he comes over."

So finally tonight, when Scott called to say he wasn't coming over, he told me that he and Tanya got the pizza at Maggie's and didn't want to leave it in the hot car when they were over last Thursday. The special place they get their crust from is Le Quartier Bakery. This means that the pizza was in my fridge from Thursday night to Saturday night without my noticing. This also means that after sitting in a fridge for two days the pizza still tasted really good. I can only imagine what it tastes like fresh.

Tomorrow morning I go to Bread & Cup for breakfast on their opening day.

I made a blubarberryan (blueberry, rhubarb, and blackberry) cobbler for Thursday night this week. It turned out pretty good, but I will make more cobblestones next time, if I use a 9 x 13 pan instead of the 8 x 8 that the recipe calls for (actually a 10 x 6 pan, but I've never seen that size. Must have been real popular in the 60s.)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At August 03, 2007 11:22 AM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I really liked Rear Window; I haven't seen the others, sadly.

 
At August 03, 2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I also liked Rear Window; I think the difference for me between Dial . . . and Rear Window is that Suspense is more of a character in Rear Window, where it is the characters that build the suspense in Dial M for Murder. I like that we get to know the villian a bit better in Dial M too. It is almost reminiscent of Match Point, including a former tennis player.

 
At August 03, 2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Aw, I forgot about Thursday night... that's too bad, 'cause I went to the Lancaster County Fair instead, by myself. Wasn't anything to write home about; I only stayed about a half hour.

How was Bread & Cup? I've been really looking forward to their opening. I'll have to get there soon. And it doesn't surprise me that Maggie's pizza is great; that's my very favorite restaurant in Lincoln.

 
At August 03, 2007 5:39 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Bread & Cup is ready and waiting. Ready to serve, waiting for the inspector to clear them to serve. So they aren't open yet. I guess continue checking their blog to find out when they will be open, or my blog since I've talked enough about them.

 
At August 04, 2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Auggies. Maggies. Close enough.

 
At August 05, 2007 7:48 PM, Blogger Buffy Turner said...

Do you know the Dalai Lama's coming here?

(This has everything to do with Dial M for Murder and Maggie's Pizza.)

 
At August 06, 2007 12:09 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I think I have a 10 x 6 that may very well be from the 60s. You can borrow it if you want.

 
At August 07, 2007 12:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll try to make it. I have to walk over though, so if it is 90 degrees or hotter, fogettaboutit.

 
At August 08, 2007 4:03 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Only 3 more beanbag nights? Why are there none in september? Even the farmer's market goes until October. (maybe?) I think you should keep a similar schedule.

 
At August 08, 2007 6:14 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Well, I'd love to have people over every Thursday night to eat good food and play fun games, but the weather and their schedules prevents that. I really can't keep up the pace of eating the majority of a baked good each week by myself. I'm not the only show in town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home