Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"It's the mud. It's the mud."

That might be my favorite pairing from the song "Waters of March." It doesn't have any particular significance to this post, but I listened to my cd today that has about eight or ten different versions of the song, and I thought I'd share.

My reason for this post was our lunar Judeo-Christian extended weekend extravaganza. If you're a Christian, Easter is a big deal because Jesus died and rose again on this weekend. And in so doing, He made it possible to live forever if you believe He did. This brings me to my thought and a question.

It has been said that the first lie is "You shall not surely die." Genesis 3:4. Latter-Day Saint theology/philosophy says it was necessary for Adam and Eve to fall so that they could be removed from their state of innocence and then know joy through their spiritual growth (2 Nephi Chapter 2). So we go from "not dying" being a lie, to having the promise of "everlasting life."

Question: Does this all mesh, or is Gen 3:4 not a lie, or is the promise of eternal life also a lie?

We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves. -Francois, duc de La Rochefoucauld, moralist
(1613-1680)

PS This is my 300th post.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 26, 2008 11:35 AM, Blogger Angela said...

ooo..the 'of' version is my favorite. she's so cute and delightful at the end.

the theology question i have to think about more.

 
At March 28, 2008 9:38 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Congratulations on your 300th post.

As to the philosophy question: I don't think I can give a good answer, due to my atheistic leanings. However, I think that the story of Adam and Eve from the Christian Bible is more about the question of whether it's better to make mistakes and then enjoy the good stuff more or whether it's better to hold onto one good thing and never search for something better.

I think the Adam/Eve story was written by ancient philosophers to explore this question...is it better to settle for what you have or strike out hoping for something even better?

 
At March 29, 2008 1:56 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Angela, the 'of' version is my favorite too. I only kept Garfunkel's because it was the best English copy available on YouTube.

Curly Sue, Thanks for your comment, I hope your move goes well. So my guess is that you're a "Prospector" and not a "Settler."

I'm a Settler, in more ways than one. I think it is interesting how eternal life is always tempting; whether you've never known death, or if you know every one you know (including you) will die someday.

So what question are the ancient philosophers exploring with the New Testament tale?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home