Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Becoming

I especially like the second "major grammatical or semantic division" of become in my Shorter OED. And that semantic division is Befit instead of Come --.

7 Accord with, be appropriate to, befit.
9 Of a property, attribute, quality, etc.: suit, look well on or with, (its owner or subject).
10 Of a person: grace (a place, position, etc.); look well in (a dress etc.).

and

becoming adj. Fitting, suitable; characterized by grace or decorum; tending to show the wearer etc. to advantage, attractive-looking.

When I first thought about this sense of the word, I was fascinated with the idea of transition (the first sense of become) being the beauty/attractiveness, similar to how I'm fascinated with the magic of the gloaming hours, both dawn and dusk. And while my initial thoughts were thwarted once I reached the dictionary, I appreciate this second "semantic division" more now, because there is beauty in the appropriate. Often things are ugly because they don't fit. All the more reason to appreciate the grace/elegance/beauty of those things that are well placed and suited, be they a gesture, a glance, a copse of trees on a hill, eggs in a nest, etc.

3 Comments:

At November 05, 2009 8:03 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Now I have the song "Become You" by the Indigo Girls in my head. Not their best song, but catchy apparently.

 
At November 05, 2009 10:32 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

This is my favorite word post of yours.

fiderack

 
At November 05, 2009 7:19 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Thank you Ellen, that means a lot to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home