Monday, February 27, 2006

"I Sent a Blind Child to Camp!"

As a service to Christian Record Services, AdventSource includes coin holders and brochures for their National Camps for Blind Children program in the Pathfinder orders. The back of the coin holder provides useful information that I thought I would share with y'all.

"Reasons blind kids go to camp:
See friends
Do fun things
Gain confidence
Be with fun people

Things blind kids do at camp:
Morning devotions
Breakfast/lunch/supper
Water balloon fights
Horseback riding
Beeper baseball
Campfire bowl
Water-skiing
Talent night
Swimming
Archery
Crafts

Labels:

4 Comments:

At February 27, 2006 5:27 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I am far from an expert on pedagogical practices for the blind. However, I do have a blind student at SeCC and we get along swimmingly. However, shooting words around a room is one thing. Often dangerous, we rarely bleed when we get hit. If I gave him a bow and arrow though, I would want more than a desk and a tie to hide behind.

 
At February 28, 2006 8:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

When I worked at summer camp I wandered over to the blind archery area. It was interesting. About half of them were better at it than me, but that really isn't saying much.

Have a good trip?

 
At February 28, 2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Never mind the have a good trip question, that'll teach me not to scroll down before commenting...

 
At February 28, 2006 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that you italicized "see." Blind people actually use that word a lot. I'm not a fan of archery at blind camp, or mini golf either, for that matter, because I feel like I'm doing it for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home