Monday, March 12, 2007

Ginja, I Must Have Ginja!

That was the climax of an anecdote Scott tells about a time when he was at the market in Kolobrej (I'm probably spelling that wrong--it was pronounced ko-Wob-jeg). He was there with the one Chinese gentleman in town, who was getting the Polish translation of various produce he was trying to purchase from the person on the other end of his cellular phone (I know there is a dangling phrase, purchase produce from the market, receive translation from phone-mate). When he came to ginger, he was told by the produce man that they didn't have ginger. Then the hilarity ensues when he turns livid at his need for and their absence of that precious root spice.

It took me 65 minutes to walk from my apartment to Bennett Martin Public Library, where I returned three overdue books and checked out Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, then to Ivanna Cone, which is always busy and understaffed on Monday nights, and home again.This jaunt was great for three reasons: I left at 8:44 and arrived before the 9 pm library closing time, I arrived home in time for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report, and It was a very pleasant evening due to warmer temperatures.

At Ivanna Cone I had a dish of Ginger Lemongrass ice cream. It was delicious, so delicious in fact, that I spurned all other flavors from its presence. This was notable, as they had the always good Dutch chocolate, cinnamon, and pistachio. This is also notable because, normally, I try very hard to sample as much as I can at each point of consumption.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 16, 2007 1:18 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

That ice cream sounds wonderful! Perfume, on the other hand, looked terrible; I'll be interested in your review.

 
At March 22, 2007 3:57 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I actually related that tale of Kolobrzeg to Tanya earlier this week. I've found myself recently very much in the "I cannot cook without ginger!" camp. I've been using a lot of ginger powder though, since it's cheap and lasts forever. Tanya, on the other hand, uses fresh exclusively. Always the higher standard with that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home