Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Giddy as a School Girl

Last night, in part to my own seeding and in part to my ancient answering machine, I talked to Ellen, Marcy immediately after, my mother shortly after, Karen immediately after, Wendy (of my own volition), and Katie some time after. Apparently my answering machine wasn't picking up while I was on the line, so instead of giving a busy signal it was just ringing like ten times, so when I hung up after talking to Ellen and my mother, the phone rang right away with Marcy and Karen on the phone. I'll share with you now what I shared with most all of them.

Monday I finally received my copper bowls that I purchased on eBay from Connecticut. This prompted me to read my Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook before going to sleep, for a couple reasons: to make sure I had the requisite ingredients for the recipes I wanted to make on Wednesday night, and to locate the recipe I'd seen earlier that not only required rhubarb, but also some stiff egg whites (the reason I got my copper bowls). I was almost a bit embarrassed at how excited I was for the impending baking session. Like I told my mother, "[her] young man is becoming a woman."

So tonight I'm going to make a Rhubarb Custard pie and a Rhubarb-Orange Custard pie, both open-faced. The Rhubarb-Orange calls for 3 tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate, and then after mixing the egg, sugar, spice, and rhubarb, I fold it with three whipped egg whites. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm expecting an almost souffle (a pseuffle, if you will). I'm deciding whether to make my blubarb cobbler tonight or tomorrow night, fresh, before the people arrive for my antepenultimate Thursday night get together.

Now I must go mix my pie crust.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 08, 2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love pseuffle!

 
At August 08, 2007 12:39 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Me too! That made me laugh out loud.

 
At August 09, 2007 3:59 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

You forgot to mention that your copper bowls had arrived.

Pseuffle is a very, very clever word.

 
At August 13, 2007 1:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The pseuffle was psuperb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home