Thursday, September 06, 2007

Be Well. Do Good Work.

Dreams came up in our conversation on the way home tonight. We started with the dreams of the subconscious, but ended with the dreams of life. Katie asked me what I wanted to be or do or become.

I answered that I wanted to be me. I'm going to try harder when "getting to know" people to avoid identifying them by what their job is.

Thinking more about what I wanted from/in life coming home after dropping Angela at her home, I was reminded of Garrison Keillor's sign off for his Writer's Almanac. I can't think of anything I would want more from life than to be well and do good work.

Being well means having health and contentment. Doing good work is much like the phrase "whatever your hand finds to do; do it with all your might." If I'm making a bowl of oatmeal, I want to make a damned good bowl of oatmeal. If I'm sleeping in, I want to embrace my rest completely.

Good night, and good luck.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 15, 2007 6:33 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

Ah-ha! This post is the reason I've had "Whistling in the Dark" stuck in my head!

Also, I finally saw "Good Night And Good Luck."

 
At September 28, 2007 3:35 PM, Blogger Amy said...

yes, please don't identify people by what their job is. mine shames me so i try to avoid speaking of it at all.

thanks for the positive feedback on my traditional fall post (formerly email). i appreciate it.

ground cherries, i think, are more trouble than they are worth. i still hope to get one batch of preserves out of the lot, though. maybe the quality of the finished product will change my mind about attempting to grow them again. really, they just need much more space than i allowed them. "sprawling" was not an overstatement. and i would rather have a fruit that waits for me to pick it rather than announcing its ripeness by falling off of the plant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home