Sunday, December 09, 2007

O Nival Night

I like many Christmas songs, so I've turned to my local soccer mom radio stations more frequently to catch their Christmas format. Today I went to church, and while driving there, O Holy Night played on the radio. The line that I never noticed before that I really like is "Till He appear'd and the soul felt its worth." I was disappointed to find that the 1985 version of The Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal doesn't include the song.

But back to that lyric, it seems to encapsulate the majesty and power of Jesus so efficiently, reflecting its own eloquence. That Jesus came to save all souls and that they recognized not only His ability to save, but also His glory, wells up in them a value previously unknown. His presence carries twofold meaning, that he is there to die for them, and because he is so great, they are also great.

After church, I went to Grateful Bread with Karen, Angela, Katie Carlson, and Ben Yancer. Their menu item of the day was Moroccan Chili Soup. It was very tasty, but not for everyone. Before I got there, Karen was in line and an elderly woman came in and asked if that was the only soup they had. Karen responded that probably it was, which was greeted with disappointment by the woman who whimpered, "It's too spicy for me." as she left.

Then I took a nap and it was Toaster Streudel at Ben and Ashley's. I could only stay there for about an hour though, because I had plans to play Guitar Hero at Hans' with one of our student workers and Lindsay, his girlfriend and my friend. Guitar Hero is a fun game, and I recommend it.

I was watching The World Stands Up on BBC America and a half Native American comic said that for the Indians Thanksgiving Day is called You're Welcome Day. The other thing he said that caught my attention was, "My father is unique. He has a brother who is his identical twin."

Tomorrow I try to make a woven lattice top apple pie.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At December 10, 2007 1:19 PM, Blogger Karen said...

A friendly reminder: In the future, "Seventh-Day Adventist" should be "Seventh-day Adventist." Someone forgot to check their General Conference style guide!

 
At December 10, 2007 1:20 PM, Blogger Karen said...

P.S. There, I'm back to reading your blog.

 
At December 10, 2007 1:21 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Could you also, in the future, hyperlink my name to my blog? I like the free advertising.

Thanks!

 
At December 10, 2007 1:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh, I have to retract my first and second comments. I'll start with the second, I was probably more skimming you're blog rather than reading, as you can see from my first comment, that you incorrectly spelled Seventh-day Adventist. Upon closer inspection, I see that it was specifically the title of the hymn book, so I'm certain the "d" was probably displayed upper-case (the commission style guide[which, {of course} I am most currently familiar with] says to upper case only the first letter of the first word in a hyphened pair if the word appears in a title or headline, but perhaps the General Conference style guide recommends otherwise.)

Well, I'm filling in this hour for the receptionist, the phone isn't really ringing too much and I have some free time for commenting. You're welcome.

 
At December 10, 2007 1:41 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What I'm kind of excited about now? The fact that you're going to check your blog page, and maybe think "wow, 5 comments already" Maybe you'll wonder who they are from, for a minute, or maybe you'll just click right in to find that all five are from me.

 
At December 10, 2007 9:04 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Thank you Karen, for everything really.

You're right about the "-day" thing and the title of the book has a lower case D as well.

 
At December 10, 2007 9:06 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Speaking of free advertising, you still owe me some cookies, and I've hyperlinked you. I was figuring that whoever wanted to check you out could just go to my side bar, oh well.

 
At December 10, 2007 9:08 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

And I knew it was you that left all the comments because I check my email first and it says who I got the comments from.

However, I wasn't paying much attention and thought that the comments had been left on MySpace and not on Blogger, which made me think they were spam comments, but I'm much happier things were the way they were.

 
At December 12, 2007 3:30 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Jesus' presence illuminating the value of the soul. Beautiful.

 
At December 13, 2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It's funny you should mention the cookies debt; I was actually planning a trip to the super target for ingredients this evening, provided I can get out of the office, jazzercised, and south target by the time The Office is on. You can expect cookie delivery some time this weekend. What netflix do you have comming in? I mean not that I would have the gumption to invite myself over for a movie or anything--I was just curious. Also, what is the shortcut key for an em dash on a PC?

 
At December 13, 2007 12:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Special note to readers: The only reason I am using a PC currently is that, once again I am filling in for the receptionist, and while I do have the MacBook Pro laptop with me, it is currently busy deleting a trial version of Adobe InDesign CS3 so that it can be downloaded and reinstalled again.

 
At December 13, 2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Special Note to Readers: Apparently deleting previous trial versions of Adobe InDesign CS3 does not erase Adobe's memory of you already downloading a trial version. Does anyone know a way around this? I really don't want to ask the IT department.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home