Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Doch an Doris

Tonight, will be another batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and if I'm feeling really ambitious, a pumpkin mousse. I've yet to verify this, but apparently the actual 12 days of Christmas starts on the 25th, so I've got some time yet to finish my quest.

I was watching The Lady Eve, directed by Preston Burgess, starring Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. Fonda's character has a body guard type whose last name is Murgatroyd. I almost didn't catch it, because he is generally referred to as Muggy (even in the credits), but I went back to the dinner party scene and put the subtitles up, and there it was.

I was watching the most recent Spectactle: Elvis Costello with . . . James Taylor. Costello asked if there was a better term for the type of songs that are categorized as "introspective." Taylor immediately responded, "causa sui." Elvis asked for a clarification and James provided it. This will be my twist on this season's resolution making. I'm going to try and define my causa sui.

I hadn't caught it before, but in "Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, they mention Pagliacci, the famous Italian clown. I was quite impressed that they were able to work such a tricky, kinda obscure name into a pop song like that. Then again I'd hardly noticed, so it wasn't that much of a feat.

Tonight, instead of tippling some Moet or Chandon, I'm going with Ommegang Brewery's Rare Vos.

Oclivery Jones

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At January 01, 2009 10:37 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Whoa...you made an actual figgy pudding? Did you steam it? Is that figgy pudding? I'm impressed with all the Christmas cookery. You should write a book called Christmas Cookery.

 
At January 05, 2009 6:40 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Unsure of what an actual figgy pudding is, I did make a bread pudding with figs. I didn't use a bain marie or steam it. And while I'm liking much of the cooking that I'm doing, a whole book might be a bit much. Plus my enthusiasm has been tempered by my pumpkin mousse, in which the orange zest is dominant.

 
At January 22, 2009 2:05 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Doesn't real figgy pudding have blood, or something else gross, in it?

 
At January 22, 2009 2:05 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

nowcu

how appropriate for me.

 
At January 22, 2009 6:37 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

There's so many ways to read "nowcu," Ellen. Now see you. No W, see you.

How do you mean that it's appropriate for you?

And Yorkshire pudding is a puff pastry made from the drippings of a roast. There are black puddings that are like blood sausage but drier. Still unsure about figgy (haven't looked it up). But another fun British dish is spotted dick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home