Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"If You've Got the Money, Honey . . .

I've got the dime.

I really like the power of oak in culinary applications. The transformation that takes place when a spirit, be it beer or bourbon or scotch, spends some time in an oak barrel is magical. For proscuitto ham, you feed the pig acorns and whey. I also think that truffles grow at the roots of oak trees (the French black truffle grows only with oak, other varieties of truffle grow with oak and other trees.). And while I'm not in a position to fully appreciate it, the uses of the wood are reason enough to value this tree, not to mention any aesthetic enrichment you get from seeing a sprawling oak in a field.

So you can imagine my delight at discovering an oak branch on the back of a dime resting on my bathroom floor. My next question was what the plant/branch was on the left of the torch. Apparently it is an olive branch. So the torch stands for Liberty, the olive branch for Peace, and the oak branch stands for . . .

I'll take some guesses and post the answer later.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 20, 2009 3:07 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

i would suppose it's strength.

or america's tradition of fine furniture.

 
At January 21, 2009 8:47 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Or maybe an oblique reference to bourbon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home