Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stewart Copeland is a Tool

She had a body as hard as 9th grade Algebra.

I had always thought the meaning of "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." was that you could damage your own home. Then while driving and thinking ill of my fellow commuters, I realized it could also mean to not throw stones because you are particularly susceptible if your enemy retaliates in a similar fashion. So which is it? or is it both?

It seems like there are a bunch of Australian actors in American television right now. Rose Byrne in Damages, Anna Torv in Fringe, and Simon Baker in The Mentalist to name those that come to mind. I don't mind this, and they are generally attractive and talented, which doesn't hurt. What bothers me is that every time I see them on a late night talk show, namely Late Night with David Letterman, he insists on them performing an American accent. This usually gets an applause from the audience. My question is whether there are regional accents in Australia. Does a sheila from Sydney sound different from a bloke from Brisbane?

About ten days ago, the comic strip Pearls to Swine had a character named Frank Lloyd Rat.

Some names I like: Pendragon, Mondragon, Moncrieff, Ignatieff, Shaughnessy, Sigourney, Orson, Gascoyne.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 14, 2009 3:42 PM, Blogger Leah said...

You know who else is a tool? That bald little toad who says, "Oh, really Dave?" and "Gee, that's funny, Dave" and "You're the funniest person on TV, Dave" on Letterman. I hate that guy.

 
At January 14, 2009 5:00 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

The first line made me snort!

As far as glass houses, your original interpretation had never occurred to me, though it makes sense.

 
At January 14, 2009 9:26 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Paraphrasing from the Colbert Report:

I'm glad it's the year of the ox because I'm tired of eating RAT!

Which made me snort.


tablev

 
At January 15, 2009 11:57 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

But Leah, don't you appreciate the bald toad's work in the Honeydrippers and musically, he is pretty decent.

Ceri, the first line is an adaptation of a baseball play by play guy talking about a batter.

Ellen, my next post will share another great line I caught from Colbert Tuesday night.

 
At January 18, 2009 12:01 AM, Blogger Wishydig said...

the little bald guy is a genius.

listen to this for a brief discussion of some dialects.

you can listen to several recordings here.

the variation of australian dialects isn't as obvious to me. but there certainly is more than one.

a little hint: if the vowel in "bed" "bet" "head" sounding close to *your* vowel in "bid" "bit" "hid" — towards, but not quite "bead" "beat" "heed" — you're likely to be hearing a new zealand accent.

so "heaven" would sound close to "hivven" almost "heevn"

 
At January 19, 2009 12:51 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Thanks to Flight of the Conchords, which I just picked up HBO, so that I can watch their new season which premiered last night, I actually have a decent grasp of the Kiwi accent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home