Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Victory!

That is the answer to the previous post's cliffhanger. The oak branch on the dime symbolizes victory.

I was looking up the word fritter, to reduce or squander little by little, and came across frith. While it can be a woody place, or an alteration of firth, an inlet of water, the definition I gravitated to was peace, security, protection.

I really like the moral ambiguity of greys and pinks.

Last week my grocery store had like 6 varieties of pear on sale. So after trying Forelle, D'Anjou, Red D'Anjou, Comice, and Bosc pears, I have decided that my favorite was Comice.

Running dangerously low on Irish whiskey, for my Irish coffee (what can be better than alcohol, coffee, sugar, and cream?) on Sunday morning, I grabbed a bottle of Jameson. This allowed me to compare it to the other (I know they aren't the only two anymore, but really why bother with any others) Irish whiskey I already had, Bushmills. I first got Bushmills last year sometime, because it was cheaper and had been the first distillery to receive a license from England back in 1608. My main use for it has been Irish coffees. But comparing it on the rocks with the Jameson helped me to realize it is pretty solid all alone, and I prefer it to Jameson (actually Scottish distillers who moved to Ireland).

My favorite commercial right now is for Skittles. I love how the Skittles bag is appropriately reflected, and the tailor is in all three mirrors. I think from concept to execution the whole thing is brilliant.

My favorite Shepard Fairey picture is this.

Going through my "name" dictionary (the one that has lots of entries for first names), I came across Mary, from Miriam--to rebel. I like that Jesus was born of rebellion. Then I was looking up Maroon (name for group of people from escaped slaves in the Caribbean) and came across marid -- a powerful and evil djinni in Arab and Indian lore. It also comes from Aramaic -- to rebel.

Lincoln has been fortunate enough to have temps in the upper 40s and lower 50s the past few days (don't worry our projected high for the next few days is in the 20s), and I had some boxes of shirts at work sitting on the dock in the sun. It has been a while since I've worked with something that was warmed by the sun, and it is nice. Plus it helps me to remember how powerful and hot the sun's energy is.

Some more names that have caught my fancy: Linus, Olyphant (not Oliphant)

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At January 22, 2009 2:16 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

what's your source on that symbolism?

what about this?

nestine

 
At January 22, 2009 4:08 PM, Blogger Leah said...

I love Bosc pears. They're perfect in salads because they're a bit more sturdy. Be sure to eat them when the top, around the stem, starts to look wrinkly.

I love pears, greens, and some kind of cheese...bleu cheese is great in that salad.

 
At January 22, 2009 6:24 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Michael,

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_on_the_back_of_a_US_dime

Weak, I know, I was initially intending to go to the US mint site, but flaked out once I got to Google. I like strength and independence better, but isn't the combination of the two victory?

 
At January 22, 2009 6:26 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Leah,

I did like the taste of the Bosc, but it had some ripeness issues in the center that lowered it in the rankings, while the Comice was juicy and more round like an apple. Excellent out of hand, but you're right pear and bleu cheese are excellent together. Can you get any Maytag Blue down in the Bayou?

 
At January 23, 2009 4:25 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

actually i figured the victory made some sort of sense -- in a roundabout way. victory which comes about by way of strength leads to independence which is maintained by strength.

so i think strength wins here.

buffy loves asian pears. they're too sweet for me. never had comice. i like danjou. don't care for bartlett.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home