Monday, October 17, 2005

Canaan Instant Breakfast [or Flaxploitation]

I like breakfast. Those of you that know me, know that I like oatmeal for breakfast. If I can't have fresh oatmeal with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, I prefer agglutinated oatmeal, which has been sitting for a bit so the water and starches make a nice smooth cream that absorb the individual oats. Since I don't really buy ice cream to keep around at home, I make my bowl of oatmeal the night before so that I can plump the golden raisins and have that agglutination to stick to my ribs til lunch.

A normal bowl of oatmeal for me is 3/4 c. oats (rolled or quick), 4 pinches of salt, a smattering of golden raisins (about 16 to 24 raisins :), and 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cups of water (more with rolled oats). I then microwave it either 2:20 or 3 minutes (more for rolled). Once it's out of the microwave I spread a bead of honey (in a counter-clockwise circular motion) over the entire surface of the oatmeal, stir, and refrigerate til morning when I reheat for two minutes, stirring halfway through (maybe a splash of milk to make it creamier).

This morning though, I mixed it up with some flaxseed meal. I put in a rounded spoonful of the miracle meal when I prepared it last night, and this morning . . . WOW! What a wonderful supplement to my already tasty bowl of wholesome goodness. Flax has fiber, lignans, and omega fatty acids.

While flax is most recently enriching my gustatory and alimentary life, it has been a cache of wordy knowledge for me for many years. Flax, or linseed, is used to make linen. In order to get it from the plant to the tropic region leisure suit, it must undergo a long arduous process that includes retting, a soaking of the stalk to breakdown the fibers before they can eventually be spun into thread. Ret is a fun three letter word that is a boon in many word games like Scrabble or Boggle. While flax is soaking, a light yellow foam forms on the top of the vat. This is called tow. Whence towhead for a little blonde boy.

And as I heard a 16 year-old girl say today as she was leaving, "I'm bouncin'."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home