Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Grumpy.

Last night I went to El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth). I give it 3 stars outta 5. I agree with the R rating. It isn't for the squeamish (Wendy, avoid this movie, or at least, close your eyes for Ofelia's second task.) Based on the previews, I was a bit concerned that the film was going to be an Alice in Wonderland on acid, which is saying quite a bit. However, at the end I thought that I could have used more of the fantasy aspects, not that the reality was too much. Technically (as far as my amateur opinion goes), I thought the film was very well made, good sound track, special effects, editing, set design. The actors were in fine form as well. Ofelia was a better actress than Olive (of Little Miss Sunshine fame) at the same portrayed age, though Ofelia is two years older in real life, 12 to 10. Sergi Lopez and Maribel Verdu (lost?) were great previously in Dirty Pretty Things and Y Tu Mama Tambien, respectively, and are maybe even better here.

Work was not as great today as yesterday. I place the blame for this on a few things: going to bed later, annoying customers, and a computer quirk that compromised a six hundred dollar order. Getting home today, I self-medicated with a beer with my steak, then a nightcap of a gin and champagne cocktail. So I'm doing better now.

My day started out very well though. I switched from sports talk on the AM to FM, starting at the left side of the "dial" with the community radio station KZUM. Just my luck, I caught the chorus of Ring of Fire, but not just any Ring of Fire, a polka Ring of Fire, but not just any polka Ring of Fire, a Spanish polka Ring of Fire. So that was great. It was followed up by a nice quartet doing King of the Road.

That is my life. Movies, Music, and Mood Elevators.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At January 24, 2007 11:22 PM, Blogger CëRïSë said...

I saw the trailer for Pan's Labyrinth quite a while ago, and had forgotten it. I didn't recall any indications of squeamish material, though, so I'm glad for your review... I guess so that I can avoid it. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home