Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Owning a Barnyard Animal Isn't as Easy as It Looks"

I woke at 3:45 this morning, which worked out alright because my sister was also insomniacking. Fortunately, these mind-gloaming hours allow one to tap that subconscious, so to speak.

Apparently I spend a lot of time in my web log community because my subconscious was rocking the poetry type stuff (see Angela and Katie's recent posts). Katie's post particularly spoke to me. I was wanting to add a comment to say how much the ocean meant to me, but I've only been to each of America's oceans once, and only single digits in age at that. The other idea that was floating in my mind was my disdain
for a lyric in a praise song, something about God's love being closer than the ocean to the shore.

Here's what some amalgamating got me, one simile:

as close as the tide

The phrase "as close as the tide to the sand" (scroll to bottom of page for pertinence) was used to describe Blaine and Barbie's relationship over three years ago, but I'd like to think I wasn't influence by that in any form.

What I like about the phrase is its Janus-like qualities. It is always there but always changing too. I know I'm not a poet, but I had to fill the last two hours with something besides music video watching, so I blogged about it.

I'm going to have a post soon about a few of my favorite things, so start thinking about your favorite things too: colors, way to prepare eggs, type of meat/analog, car, actors, sports teams/athletes, films, directors, music artists, and other stuff too. I think the post might actually be a lot of my favorite things.

Just sharing that I discovered who was singing a cool song in the recent Puma commercials: Mazarin. I have the song on my Space if you want to check it out.

Now that it is 6:07 and day light, I'm gonna go running.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 22, 2007 11:10 AM, Blogger Buffy Turner said...

Nice reference to Janus amidst the tide thinking, Daniel. But from where do we get "February"? And did you know our word, "janitor" is a remnant of Janus, caretakers of doors and halls as they are?

 
At May 22, 2007 1:12 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Yes, I did know about janitor previously, but did you know about the god Custus, whence custodian?

And a quick check of Wikipedia yielded: February was named after the Latin term februum, which means purification, via the purification ritual Februa held on February 15 in the old Roman calendar.

I don't know if Februa is the same festival by a different name as Lupercalia. Lupercalia is a fun one, boys go around flinging goat milk on each other with the foreskin of a goat.

 
At May 22, 2007 1:12 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm just kidding about Custus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home