Friday, May 25, 2007

A Pirate's Life for Me

So the first Thursday night Beanbags and Rhubarb was a smashing failure. I grew impatient after playing two games against myself (I won both.) and followed the true desire of my heart at 7:15: At World's End. The 8:00 and 8:01 showings at The Grand were sold out when I got there, so alone and flexible, I got a ticket for the 9:00 showing. This gave me an hour and forty minutes to occupy before the trailers started.

First I went to Ivanna Cone for a large dish of two scoops of Ginger-Lemongrass, Rootbeer, and E.D.G.A.R. (created by children at an elementary school, it is milk chocolate ice cream with pieces of fudge brownies and chocolate chip cookie dough.) As I was crossing 8th street for IC, I saw Ben Yancer turning north onto the selfsame street. At Ivanna Cone I read the dictionary as I'm wont and got the note from Angela, Katie, and Ben wishing me enjoyment while I ate ice cream and read the book in which the note was. I'll talk about the stuff I learned from my reading in my Word Hoard web log.

After a good twenty minutes at Ivanna Cone I went to see if they'd started seating for the movie. They had not. So I perused Homer's for a while (the downtown Homer's will be closing May 26th.) then went to Bennett Martin to get something to read for my wait for the film to start. My eyes landed upon The United States of Arugula: How We Became a Gourmet Nation by David Kamp. After reading the preface, it looks to be a good book and nice companion to the other book about food I'm reading now.

This brings me back to the theatre with about thirty minutes to spare. My recent acquistion at the library started a conversation ("What's that you're reading?") with a former Hastings High Math teacher that instructed Dr. Ryan Wells' daughters. Our conversation also allowed me to mention my new interest in quinoa and my blubarb pie.

The movie was excellent. I really liked it. I'm very glad I went to it. And I'll go again if the situation is right. I recommend it, even if you haven't seen either of the first two.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At May 25, 2007 12:02 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Sorry we missed you. We heard "7:30" as an alright time to stop by. And granted, 7:30 became 8. Because my mom was in town and we got supper at Maggie's before coming over. Katie, Angela, and I sat on the curb outside your house and had a nice chat for a few, maybe ten minutes. Katie had seen you walking to Ivanna Cone. So then we went there, but you were gone. We'll have to try this beanbag Rhubarb business again. Did you get the article Katie left for you?

 
At May 25, 2007 12:03 PM, Blogger Ben said...

And yes, Rhubarb was capitalized on purpose. It's that important to me.

 
At May 25, 2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Angela said...

i'm sorry daniel! i, too, showed up at the later time. there's a house concert by israel at the yancer's tonight, want to come? it starts at 6 p.m. we're having a sandwich potluck so you can bring toppings or other dishes if you want. you can even bring beanbags and maybe we'll all have a chance to play. ^^ or you can just bring yourself. see you!

 
At May 25, 2007 1:08 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

It is alright. My heart really wasn't into it, evident by the lack of Rhubarb and communication prior to the evening. Tonight does sound like fun. We'll see.

 
At May 25, 2007 1:09 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I did get the article that was left for me, did you get my note at Ivanna Cone?

 
At May 25, 2007 5:47 PM, Blogger Katie said...

This is such a fun game! I saw you walking to IC, but I wasn't entirely sure it was you. Maybe 90%. So I didn't say anything until you weren't to be found at your house. Then we decided maybe it wasn't you after all. It's funny to me that we all played such a run-around. And it's cool that you got the note, because it was written last Sunday night. I didn't check the dictionary last night; I will next time. Maybe we'll see you tonight!

 
At May 25, 2007 8:25 PM, Blogger Kate Lechler said...

I wanna read that arugula book. Give it to me. :D

 
At May 26, 2007 5:20 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Sorry that I totally flaked on beanbag Rhubarb night, it slipped my mind.

 
At May 26, 2007 6:29 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I've lost all respect for you Ellen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home